Total Pageviews

Friday 22 November 2013

The coolest ride in India



What if I told you that you could get free Wi-Fi, free books to read, and also get watch T.V when you hire a limousine?

Most of you would  me. After all, they can more than afford to give free stuff, after ripping off the fat cats who hire limos all the time.

What if I told you, you would get all that and more, when you hire an auto-rickshaw? And that the fare of this auto actually costs lesser than a normal auto rickshaw?

Most of you would think I’m a liar. Or that the auto driver was a serial killer, biding his time. Let’s clear up the second accusation first. This is the auto-driver:


His name is Annadurai. He’s 29 years old, drives an auto rickshaw in Chennai, and (as evidenced in the photograph) is a very happy and good person. He says he doesn’t take too much money, because, to quote him:

 “Money isn’t too important to me. What gives me pleasure is that people remember me and are grateful for the service I offer.”

He drives for 11 hours a day, and spends Rs. 5000 each day to ensure that his customers have the perfect auto ride, and he makes about Rs. 1000 a day. “This is enough for a bachelor like me”, he says.

But how can you use the Wi-Fi if you don’t have a smartphone or a laptop? It’s simple: Annadurai will let you use a 10 inch tablet that he keeps in the auto for just such occasions. And that’s just one of the many free services he offers. Take a look at some of the others:

And here are a few pics of the auto itself:

To know more about Annadurai, check out this short film about him on youtube:


No comments:

Post a Comment